Academy of Combat BJJ Instructors
Led by Dr Geoff Aitken, 3rd degree BJJ Black Belt, the Academy of Combat is the biggest and most experienced BJJ school in Christchurch, NZ. The Academy offers a unique, radical and innovative approach to teaching Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and MMA known as the Open Training Format. This has proved very popular with our students as it focuses on their learning needs as individuals. We feel this is important as everyone should develop their own fighting style as not all techniques suit every body type or game plan.
This revolutionary method is only possible due to the depth of knowledge and vast experience of the Academy instructors. The Academy also hosts regular in-house workshops with 5th Degree BJJ black belt John Will and 8th degree red and black belt Rigan Machado, keeping us at the forefront of grappling instruction.
Benefits & Advantages of Training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) at the Academy of Combat:
- Access to knowledge and experience unmatched in the South Island.
- As a member of the Will/Machado Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Organization, you are ensured, as a student that you are learning and ranking in quality BJJ and have Academies that you can train at around the world.
- The main focus at the Academy is teaching high quality technique so that the student gets a full understanding of the concepts, principles and techniques of BJJ.
- The Academy teaches a complete Brazilian Jiu Jitsu syllabus including gi and no gi competition training, self defence and MMA.
- BJJ will provide an incredible boost to your physical and mental well being.
- The Chief Instructor is continuously updating our BJJ curriculum by attending workshops with the greatest practitioners of the discipline both in New Zealand and overseas.
- Our timetable provides plenty of classes throughout the week and open mat time for sparring.
The History of BJJ at the Academy of Combat
The Academy of Combat was New Zealand's first Brazilian Jiu Jitsu school, established in Christchurch, in 1996 following the Chief Instructor, Dr Geoff Aitken's, return from the USA where he trained under Andre Pederneiras and John Lewis of the Nova Uniao BJJ academy.
In 1999, Geoff met John Will of the Will/Machado BJJ Academy, who was establishing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Australia.This was the beginning of the Australasian Will/Machado Brazilian Jiu Jitsu network, of which the Academy is an associate Academy, now the largest BJJ organization in Australasia.
The Machado Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Association is one of the Main Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Organizations in the world. Led by the Machado brothers; Rigan, Jean-Jacque, Carlos, John and Roger they are known for their very innovative and creative approach to their art.